Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I recently applied for a Harley Research Fellowship in the history of cartography. I am very pleased to say I have been awarded a fellowship with funding to do a spell of archival research in London. I am planning to do this sometime next summer and will be working primarily in The National Archives looking for mapping related to Second World War bombing of Manchester. The title of my project is 'War Time Civilian Cartography: Investigating the Mapping of Manchester Before, During and After the Second World War'. The image above shows an example of a bomb census tracing.

The Harley Fellowship is named in honour of the noted historical geographer and cartography scholar Brian Harley.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matthew W. Wilson said...

Will you also be digitizing some of these works?

12:28 PM  
Blogger martin said...

Hi Matt,

yes I hope to capture good photographs of bomb census maps. The intention is that these will be used in Mapping Manchester coffee table book that is in the pipeline.

cheers
martin

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home